January 16, 2008


This here is one of my most favorite people in the whole world. Paul was probably my first friend ever. We spent many childhood afternoons playing together in the yard, on the brown linoleum in the den, and especially on the orange shag carpet in the basement. I guess we had chairs, I just don't remember them. We colored and drew things, built things and made up little stuffed animal bands that played Glen Campbell songs. We played in the creek and sang in the car. In high school we were both in band and church youth group and his friends become my dating pool. We had braces at the same time and learned to drive together. Most importantly, we kept each other's secrets. I missed him a lot when he left for college. He was my best friend. Life felt, for the first time in a long time, a bit empty.

We haven't lived in the same town for 20 years now, but that's about to change. Paul and his family are moving back here this summer. And I can't wait. And yes, I know, it won't be the same. Now there are jobs, kids, and marriages to take care of. And we will both be full time students. But he is just a comfort to stand next to. I feel better when he's in the room. It's hard to explain, but if he were an it, it would be a warn cup of coffee, or a fleece throw that takes away the chill. He is kindhearted, and joyful, and goofy, and the very image of grace and forgiveness. He's good for my soul. He's also amazingly smart, which is why it is still so funny when he's lost his keys.....again. I guess this summer I could start keeping an extra set at my house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad that you're happy about this. I hope that you are doing well and feling fine and if you aren't then I hope that you get better soon.